Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sunday Supper: Spaghetti Alla Carbonara

Spaghetti Alla Carbonara is one of my favorite quick dishes. Its delicious. And we always seem to make it when we are exhausted.

Bf and I just returned from our awesome weekend in Charlotte, NC with our buddies and we were wiped. We went straight to PUBLIX and I just wanted a one dish, super delicious, easy to make dish.

Here is all we needed: (I love recipes with a few ingredients... I have also made this before so I had some of the supplies already)

2 eags/eggs

1 package of Buitoni noodles. You can use any kind (fettucini, spaghetti, etc... I prefer a thicker noodle)

Pancetta

fresh Pecorino cheese

fresh Parmesan cheese

fresh basil leaves

Black pepper

Procedures (Sounds doctorial... ooo... thats def a made up word)

Crack your eggs into a bowl


Grate about a 1/2 a cup of Pecorino into the egg bowl


Grate 1/2 a cup of Parmesan cheese into egg bowl as well



And whisk


Do you ever go to the grocery store with a plan and then totally forget a main ingredient? Well, thats what I did. The Pancetta makes this dish and I forgot it. I thought "FINE! I'll just make plain ol' spaghetti. WAAAHHH!!!" and then I looked in my fridge and realized I had bacon. Crisis averted. But if you can get/remember Pancetta, then definitely get that.

So, I chopped up my bacon.


and tossed it in my heated up pan



Meanwhile, I boiled some water for my noodles


Continue to move the bacon around the pan to get the pan nice and greased up


I then added some French Sea Salt (My homeland!) to my pot of water. I love this salt! Bf's mama brought it back for him from Paris a few weeks ago and I have made it my best friend. She brought me these great caramels that I have been rationing out since. So delish.



This is the secret weapon in my opinion. Fresh pasta! I have never gone back to dried pasta since having Buitoni a year or so ago.


I got Fettucini noodles, but you can get any kind really. I just love large flat noodles.


Into the boiling water they go.


They boil for just 3 minutes then drain.


I ALWAYS forget this part (hence no pic because I forgot tonight). RESERVE ABOUT A CUP OF THE WATER FROM THE NOODLES. Its not a make-or-breaker, but it is better with. 

Then, over a medium hot stove, dump your noodles into the bacon/pancetta pan. 


And mix


Remove from the heat and pour your reserved eag/egg mixture into your noodles and bacon


Crack more pepper than you would think you'd need into your dish. I swear, the pepper IS the make-or-breaker in this dish!


Continue to mix your noodle mixture. I recommend tongs as your tool of choice for this.

Then, tear up some fresh basil leaves. I made bf run to our garden last second to grab these leaves. They are sooooo much smaller than they were in the summer. I think I am going to have to move my basil plants inside and hope they make it. I love them too much..


Serve your Carbonara into some nice large bowls and sprinkle with the freshly ripped basil. 


YUM!


I am such a "lets have an appetizer, dinner, and after dinner drink girl" but this dish is great alllll on its own. I always at least make a salad to go along with dinner, but I just love this all by itself. It also helps me eat slower since this is it.

Seriously one of my all time favorite meals and like most carbonaras it is not heavy. While there is bacon and its grease, there is no cream, which just makes it way lighter.

Yes, I cooked in a bathrobe and grandma slippers tonight. Halloween just wears me out. Hope everyone had a good halloween and had fun costumes!

No comments:

Post a Comment