Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Savannah: Wassaw

On the way to Ossabaw Island, we made a quick detour to Wassaw. The island is this cool national reserve with lots of coastal elements. I swear, this was one of the most beautiful days I have ever seen! I couldn't stop taking pictures of my surroundings. I'm such a naturalist/outdoorsy person (that can rock a mean 12 hour tv marathon). 

This place is UGLY, and I mean U-G-L-Y it aint got no alibi ugly, compared to Ossabaw (hint: check tomorrow for details). 


I felt like I was in a magazine. I don't think I said a word for an hour. Bf and I cruise these waterways frequently and I don't know if I close my eyes each time or what, but wooooo.... check out these photos. 





These trees start popping up all over the place with their curvy branches. I mean, where else can you see a Spanish Live Oak smothered with Spanish moss? Not in Atlanta, thats for damn sure.... I've been looking. All I ever see at home are pine trees. 





Finally, after staring at the sky for an hour, I took a picture of just the sky. Look how blue. Not a cloud to be seen. 


I love this photo. 


These trees line the water near Wassaw. I am not sure what kind they are, but I think its so neat how there is only greenery at the tops of the trees. 


Then we got to the Wassaw National Reserve. Its great that you can travel there by boat and just dock at their little island dock. 



Some more Spanish Moss. I used to live in Albany, GA and we had a big tree in our front yard COVERED with Spanish Moss. I used to take it off the trees and put it on my head (heeeelllloooo long hair!). In hindsight: that must have been how I got those chiggers. 



Bf, Joe, and Brooke checking out the board to see what this island had to offer.


So we just walked around for a while. 








As we were leaving we stumbled upon some animal remains. We were holding up the skull and trying to figure out what it was. I wanted to take the bone, but then worried it may be bad juju. 


Then, one of my FAVORITE things happened. I mean favorite. We had just taken off from the dock to head over to Ossabaw when I saw my buddies, my pals: the dolphins. 


The dolphins down in Savannah are extremely friendly (read: hungry) and will come up to your boat and try to get your attention. There were probably 2 dozen surrounding the boat. A few of the brave ones gave a little show. 



No, I did not need to zoom. They were that close! I love when this happens. Totally made my trip. 

Oh, and I did see one cloud. One. So I had to take a picture of it. Looks like popcorn. 


Read on tomorrow to find out about our awesome/disasterous/once-in-a-lifetime trip to Ossabaw Island!

No comments:

Post a Comment