Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Sunday Supper: Coq Au Vin

This Sunday I decided to create Coq Au Vin for Sunday Supper. Mmmm.... so delicious. I have only had Coq Au Vin one other time and it was in Mexico (I know, odd place to have french food), but I did not think it was all it was cracked up to be.

Still, I have a sick love for French food, so I was going to give it another try. One of my favorite dishes of alllll time is Bonne Femme, which stands for "good wife." One thing I am not (good?! riiiight... a wife?! Laughable!!! Now I'm cyring...). I make it with scallops and it is unbelievable. They flavors are kind of similar, so I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Let me start by saying that I had bleached my teeth that day for the first time in years. I had forgotten just how sensitive my chiclets were. I had to sip my Sunday vino through a straw. It seriously hurt to sucks in. My jaw was also sore from clenching down in pain. It was agony. I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to eat! The horror!



I wish I was smart enough to know how to make Coq Au Vin out of my own brain... but I aint. So I got my October BonAppetit's Coq Au Vin recipe


I preheated my oven to 300 degrees and got to work!


Here is an ingredient list of what I used:
4 bacon slices, coarsely chopped

 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves ( I just used 2 HUGE ones)

 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley, divided

 8 ounces large crimini (baby bella) mushrooms, halved

 8 large shallots, peeled, halved through root end

 2 garlic cloves, pressed

 1 1/2 cups dry red wine (such as Syrah)

 1 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth, divided

 4 teaspoons all purpose flour

Something for a side. I got Brussels Sprouts.

I haven't had Brussels Sprouts  since last winter... phew, long time... so I had been hankering for some. First I rinsed them. 



Then I placed a few on my cutting board. 


First, I cut the ends off. 



Then sliced them down the middle.



Then I gently boiled them in a thin bit of water, bottoms down. 


While the sprouts were working to turn a beautiful green, I was chopping the bacon for my Coq Au Vin. 


Then placed the 4 coarsely chopped pieces in a pan and let crisp. Remember to reserve the drippings in the pan. This is what you will cook your chick in. 


Meanwhile, the sprouts had turned a deeper green (just a minute or two in boiling water) and then I drain them and wait until I am ready to do the final steps. It's all about timing. 


Lay the chicken on a cutting board. 


Sprinkle both sides with salt and peppa


Chop some Italian parsley


And sprinkle (and press) onto/into the chicken


When the bacon has crisped, use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon bits and place in separate bowl. 



Place the chicken in the bacon grease (omg delish). Let it go for about 6-7 minutes on each side depending on thickness. These suckers were pretty thick so I let them go for about 8.


Meanwhile ( I am such a multi-tasker!) I put a few extra slices of bacon I had into the sprouts pan and let heat up. 



Then I cooked my sprouts face down in the bacon grease (AGAIN!? I know... might as well go all out). 



Checked on my chicken. It was cookin'.


After my sprouts go for a bit in the grease, I add probably about a 1/2 a cup of chicken broth and let simmer. 


I flipped my chicken after 8 minutes. Look at that! Yummy.


Sprouts were cookin' and chicken broth was reducing. 


Then, chopped up my 8 shallots.



And dumped them in a bowl with the 8 oz. of (already sliced) crimini mushrooms, salt and pepper. 



Take the chicken out of the pan when it is ready and place in an oven-safe dish. Place in the 300 degree oven while you make the sauce.


There is that dang tin foil ball again!!! Why am I so lazy that I can't get that out? Bf complained about it (but didn't remove it either... two peas in a pod).

Into your pan (that you cooked the chicken in) goes your mushroom and shallots. 



Let the mushrooms and shallots start to brown. Have your red wine ready!


When the mushrooms and shallots start to look like this....


And after adding some forgotten last minute garlic....


Pour in your 1 1/2 cup of red wine and 1 1/4 cups chicken broth.


Let reduced a minute or two and toss in the reserved bacon. Lordy, that looks so good. I am making that again, stat! Just look at it bubbling away!


Ok, anyway... in a cup or bowl dump in your 4 tsp. flour and your 1/4 cup chicken broth. Whisk together. 


I have to go back to the sauce again...


Sorry, back to the recipe... whisk together.


And stir the mixture into the sauce. It'll start to thicken immediately. 



The Sunday hideous cook at work. Update: teeth still hurting.


It was all coming together. Sauced had thickened, Brussels Sprouts had begun to crisp. 


Take the chicken out of the oven, put a a plate, pour the DECADENT sauce over the chicken, and heave some sprouts on your plate. 

Look at that...


The best Sunday Supper I have ever made. 


Look at those sprouts. Aren't they good for the eyes?


And turn that big screen on. Sunday Night Supper is on. 


It was delicious, if I hadn't already said so.


Bf woofed it down!


After we ate, we both sat there stuffed. And planned a party. 


We made a prelim list of guests and ways the theme it up! I smell mustaches (gross). 

No comments:

Post a Comment