Monday, October 18, 2010

Savannah: Fresh Flounder (and Trout)

Bf and I "caught" a flounder when we were down in Savannah the other weekend and we couldn't wait to come home and eat it. We had also caught some small trout that we decided to add to our dish as well. I love to lightly fry and just squeeze lemon, but we were in the mood for something different and more adventurous. 

Ingredients

  • 5 roma (plum) tomatoes (I used 3 homegrown tomatoes)

  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

  • 1/2 Spanish onion, chopped (a.k.a. yellow onion)

  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped

  • 1 pinch Italian seasoning

  • 1/4 cup white wine

  • 24 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped

  • 4 tablespoons capers

  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

  • 6 leaves fresh basil, chopped

  • 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese

  • 1 pound flounder fillets

  • 6 leaves fresh basil, torn

Preheat oven to 425



Chop up your Spanish Onion ( I had to google this! I have never heard of a yellow onion called a Spanish Onion. Apparently it originated in TX somewhere somehow). 



Mince 2 cloves of garlic. 


Rinse your flounder filets. We also had 2 trout filets that we just threw in there as well. White fish white fish. I suggest skinning the filets.




Boil you tomatoes briefly (under 1 minute)


Place in bowl


Fill with water and ice!


Meanwhile, I put my kalamata olives (omg yum) in my food processor, but you could just as easily chop them up with a knife. 




Then peel the skin off the tomatoes. This was so easy that I was surprised! The skin just sloughed right off. 



Throw your onions into a hot pan with oil



Roughly chop up our tomatoes, seeds and all



Toss in the minced 2 garlic cloves and some salt and pepper


Add tomatoes


Stir your pan full o' goodness. This smelled unbelievable by this point. 


Add your chopped up Kalamata Olives


Add 1/4 a cup of white wine to pan and let simmer


Squeeze in fresh lemon juice


Shake in some italian seasoning and your capers


Continue to let simmer for a few minutes. Also, rip apart your basil leaves and put in the mix. 



Grate in some Parmesan Cheese




Stir it all together.


And dump delicious Mediterranean mix over fish. 




Place in the oven for 12 minutes to let the fish cook all the way through


Then serve! I added a side of brown rice and Quinoa.






I thought it was delicious. It was one of those dinners that was right up my alley. Kalamata Olives? CHECK! Capers? CHECK! Fish? CHECK!

We decided though that the topping took all the glory and that the fish was just kind of there. And when you have fresh fish caught in the flats off Savannah, you want it to be the star of the show. I would eat just the toppings with some french bread. Or even over chicken. Nevertheless, I am adding it to my rotation of meals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment