Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Spicy Enchiladas!

I have no clue why I want a hot, cooked dish on this 96 degree day, but I do. I am not sure I have EVER had an enchilada in my entire life, but today is the day. With the help of two great food blogs IGE and Eat, live, run I have merged the two into my own take on Spicy Enchiladas!

Step 1: Cook 2 chicken breasts in a pan in the oven at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Then let cool (I put mine the the fridge next to my Kosher baby dills).


2. When chicken has cooled shred apart into a large bowl (I originally used a medium/smallish bowl and had to make a 1/2 way through switch)


1. Chop 1 large onion and 3 cloves of garlic.






3. Drizzle a tablespoon or so into a pan and let warm. 


4. Chuck in your chopped onions and garlic. (That pan looks tiny! It is not, its normal sized. Must be the angle). Then saute for about 10 minutes.

5. Get your Enchilada Sauce and green chiles ready.


6. Spread about 1/2 a can of then enchilada sauce into the bottom of a Pyrex dish... shooo wee that thing is old.




7. BOWL SWITCH! Dump the onions and garlic into a bowl along with the shredded chicken and 1 1/2 cans of the Enchilada Sauce (you should have 1/2 the can left over) and 2 cans of green chiles. 


8. Then sprinkle in a handful of cheese into the mix. I had some left over Mexican Cheese that I mixed with my Mild Cheddar. I'm sure almost any kind of orangey cheese would do. 


9. Then I put in a rather generous amount of Ground Cayenne... probably a tablespoon. 


10. Then stir... yummy.


11. I lied out my burrito bread (what on earth are those things called?!?! seriously i cant think of it!) and schlapped some of my enchilada mixture into the middle. I am sure there is a MUCH easier way to do this, like one by one, but at the time this seemed practical. 


12. Roll 'em up tight with the seams down. 


13. Top 'em with a generous amount of cheese and the rest of the Enchilada Sauce.


Just look at that cheeeeese!


Snug like bugs in a rug... well, not bugs.... that's gross.


15. Place then in the oven at 425 for 10 minutes whilst covered with tin foil. 


16. Remove the tin foil and cook for another 10 minutes at 425.



Got to tell you, I made quite a mess! When cooking I always leave a grocery bag nearby to collect all of my gunk and make clean-up a snap. That's a pretty full bag 'o trash.


This was also not a one dish meal. I used my saute pan, medium/small bowl (mistake), large bowl, multiple spoons, and my ancient times Pyrex dish. 


By the time I got everything all cleaned up, my Enchiladas were ready and they were piping hot!


This is not an appetizing picture, but trust me, they were good! One came out all neatly and rolled up still, while the other one came apart when I pulled it out of the dish. I preferred the neat Enchilada because of the crispness of the burrito bread (seriously, I'm about to go to the cabinet and look at the package! Its been a long day). But I also doused them in my favorite, Louisiana Hot Sauce. 


Mmm... The first cheesy bite of my very first Enchilada EVER! I can't believe I have never eaten one before. These are definitely going into my meal rotation!



No comments:

Post a Comment